Map of South Chailey
'HORNS LODGE' is a traditional historic
rural English public house, which has
been in this location for about 200
years. The inn was one of a string of
coaching inns on the London to Brighton
postal service route. A horn was carried
on each coach which was sounded to
herald the arrival of the post. Hence
the name , 'HORNS LODGE'.
The Horns Lodge, would appear to be
relatively modern, being first recorded
in 1713 as an Ale House adjoining two
cottages. However it is thought to be
about fifty years older than this date.
The old map (left) dates back to
1879. The Pub can be clearly seen.
From what can be deduced the “Old Road”
Green Lane used to be the main road
through the village. However there is a
very large band of Sussex clay that runs
across what was called South Common.
In 1703 a Mr Norman set up a business in
South Common to manufacture bricks, the
manufacture of which continued through
centuries until the mid 1900's. However
as time went by it was realised that the
“old road” was in the way, so the “new
road” South Street was constructed. The
date of the "new road" is unclear,
however it is thought to be around 1745
You can also see from the map that the
Brickworks have now taken away the
course of the “old road”. This is now a
dead end, except for a back
access to the brickworks.
The back of the Horns Lodge today was in
fact the front.
When the "new road" now called South
Street, came into being, the front to
back switch of the Horns Lodge occurred.
If you look closely at the map where the
Horns Lodge is indicated, you find the
original boundary to the property.
The Horns Lodge was constructed as two
cottages and an ale house, all
served by a water well in between the
ale house and the middle cottage.
There were stables and out buildings,
which encircled an old orchard, and
continued onto the access to the “old
At a time not really established, a postal
route by stage coach was set up from London to
Brighton. The ale house became a "POST"
horse changing stop, using the
stabling to rest and change the horses.
Due to this, the public house became
known as the Horns Lodge, with reference
to the Post Horn that the coaches used.
There was another pub on Green Lane but
not a lot is known of this. However it did
not have the facility to change horses.
As time went by the stage coach system
was phased out and the steam railways
took over the links from London to
At a time unknown, The Horns Lodge
became the property of
Page & Overton’s Brewery from Croydon.
The brewery went out of business in
1954. The public house was then taken
over by Charringtons (Kemptown Brewery) of Brighton,
selling Toby Ales. Later to become Bass
Charrington. The brand Toby Ales also
re produced the now famous
Toby Jug as an advertising
gimmick, though it was around long
before the brewery used the name.
The public house part of the building as
it is viewed in the picture left, was
only half the building. The other half
split into two cottages (the two doors
to the right). These were let by the
publican who in turn leased the total
estate. In addition to the two cottages
there was a detached cottage set back to
the left of the pub. This too was rented
out to tenants.